Home / All about selling / Rent with peace of mind this summer!

Rent with peace of mind this summer!

With the weather warming up, are you starting to think about your summer projects? Whether you’re thinking about going on a hike or a trip, or renovating your home or moving to a new one, you’re not alone! And more often than not, these types of projects include the rental of a holiday spot, vehicles or equipment. But what do your auto insurance or home insurance cover when you rent? 

Here are a few tips from the La Capitale blog to avoid inconveniences that may arise from your summer rentals!

Private passenger vehicles

  • Before renting a vehicle short-term for a vacation in Canada or the United States such as a car, van, motorhome or a trailer, contact your insurer to check if:  
  • Your auto insurance covers you adequately while driving a rented vehicle
  • You need to take specific measures in the event of an accident
  • You need to add the optional "Civil liability resulting from damage caused to vehicles of which named insured is not owner" coverage (Q.E.F. 27) to your auto insurance, to avoid paying rental company insurance fees.
  • Your Q.E.F. 27 coverage is enough to cover the value of the rented vehicle.

Are you planning to rent a car outside Canada or the US? In this case, you have no choice but to get insurance from the rental company. 

Cottage, apartment or residence

Did you know that your home insurance covers you when you rent a temporary residence, no matter where you are? The Civil Liability insurance included in your contract covers you if you cause property damage or injury to a third party when you’re in your rented residence. 

For example, you’re covered if you accidentally cause water damage to the walls or furniture.

You should still call your home insurer before you rent to understand exactly what’s covered and what isn’t.

Renovation tools

Getting ready to renovate your home and do the work yourself? Here are a few things to consider: 

  • Plumbing and electrical work should always be trusted to experts.
  • Take the time to shop around for tools and compare purchase and rental prices. In certain cases, you may be better off purchasing the tool rather than renting it. 
  • If you opt to rent, compare the offers closely. For example, some rental companies will require you to pay for insurance that would cover the value of the tool in case you break it, while others won’t.
  • Check what’s covered by your home insurance by contacting your insurer. In general, the tools used are covered against theft, but not breaks that may occur while in normal use.

Moving vehicle

Whether it’s a truck, trailer or pick-up truck, renting a vehicle to move is another situation in which you should contact your insurer. You’ll know if your auto insurance would cover you or whether you should get additional coverage to meet your needs. 

If you’re not already covered, your insurer will advise you on the solutions available so that you're adequately covered for damage you may cause to the vehicle.

Good to know: Property in transit is covered by your home insurance.

Rental of warehouse

Before you leave your property in a warehouse, check if your home insurance contract provides coverage. Certain home insurance providers, such as La Capitale, automatically include coverage for property stored in a residential facility. Others don’t!

Take advantage of the partnership with La Capitale!

If you're a DuProprio buyer or seller, ask La Capitale General Insurance for a quote. You’ll receive an additional 5% discount and you could save $425 by bundling your home, auto and recreational vehicle insurance.